I hope all of you have been able to find warmth and have found a way to recharge yourselves this Holiday season. I will attest to really needing the downtime since my last post. At the beginning of the Holiday season, there were many times where I thought the following – I am a deflated balloon and life is trying to squeeze every last bit of air out of me. To say that I was overwhelmed would be an understatement.
Precious sleep and unconditional family love were the magic restorative elixirs this season. I was able to step and re-read my own words that I had written but weeks prior to my sixteen year old self.
Since then, I have been reflecting on what positive changes do I need to make in my life for 2014 and beyond. Similarly, I have been exploring which practices I engage in that should be transformed into daily habits and ingrained discipline. It really should come as no surprise that I have to improves on all planes – body, mind and soul.
- I need to give my body more sleep. There is no dancing around that topic.
- I need to remember to eat regular meals. Running on empty and sheer willpower only goes so far for so long.
- I need to hydrate myself with plain unadorned water. When I pause and stand still long enough to listen, I am parched.
- I need to reinforce my core strength. It is something that had always been integral to my being that I have simply let slip.
- Action Plan
- Tap into something called a calendar <spoken tongue in cheek>. With a smart phone and today’s technology, I will simply schedule these fundamentals of my life until such time they become ingrained and enduring habits.
- Reduce my virtual presence and invest in my physical presence. Yup, you got it. More time offline. More time physically engaging myself.
- I have been labeled ADD and OCD. I need to explore more restful techniques as my mind will frequently refuse to stop working or idle down for any reason.
- I am also a synesthete. I fully embrace my unique perception of life around me but I do need to be more vigilant and mindful of over stimulation.
- I am an eternal student. I must always learn – preferably from an area of knowledge I know very little about. I need to recognize the new learning sooner as it does factor into my daily happiness quota.
- Action Plan
- Add to the calendar discussed above some scheduled mental downtime and play time.
- Channel my ADD/OCD and need to learn by deciding to learn to sketch. I will sketch something everyday for the coming year.
- Adopt a daily gratitude/kindness/happiness thought centering journal.
- I need my 30 minutes of daily centering meditation. There is no dancing around this topic too.
- I need to better engage on all three planes as I interact with the world around me.
- I need to continually work towards my life’s purpose.
- Action Plan
- Add to the calendar discussed above the requisite meditation time.
- Add to the journal discussed above a daily intention and a meditation centering thought.
- Commit to being fully present at all times.
So there it is – the output of all my recent personal reflection. Like any and all plans, flexibility is needed though vigilance needs to be applied to prevent the really big slips.
What about you? How do you go about setting your intentions for the coming year?