Poetic Asides has an interesting prompt for us today. Write an answer poem. Take whatever question has been posed to you recently and answer it in a poem.
Okay, I can do that. I was asked something just this morning by a lovely neighbor who dropped by to make sure I was doing well and to see if there was anything she could do for me. The gesture was all the more blessed when one realizes that this lady is battling cancer and losing the battle.
When I saw the prompt, my mind flew to that one question and took me into thoughts I’d not opened up for a while; at least, not seriously. The following poem is my immediate response. If I gave myself more time, I’d probably come away with a different answer, but circumstances brought out this instead.
Do You Need Anything?
An innocent question
From one wanting to help;
An answer buried deep
Within passages of mind,
Inside rooms built of heart’s
Desires and wishes unfulfilled.
Do I need anything?
I need regular inspiration,
Requiring only inner vision.
I need time to stand still,
Allowing me to explore all.
I need adequate will power
To accomplish all my plans.
All else requires the help
Of those with resolutions
To grant me a world without
Strife, where humankind lives
In peace, without want for needs
Fulfilled that serenity can satisfy.
© Claudette J. Young 2012
- Beautiful Blooms – Prompt #68 (poeticbloomings.com)
- What Is Your Heart’s Desire? (bncouragedbylove.wordpress.com)
- Untitled poem (‘Roses on the brier’), by Christina Rossetti (gallimaufry.typepad.com)
- In-form Poet Wednesday – Minnesang (poeticbloomings.com)
- Beautiful Blooms – Prompt #65 (poeticbloomings.com)
- Mystical Poetry (mysticfiresfrommypen.wordpress.com)
- Great Poetry Quotes (poetrycurator.wordpress.com)
- A Collection Of Short Poems V (boomiebol.wordpress.com)
- Dedicated to you the reader by Navid Helmi – The Quay of Glee – (My favorite Iran guest poet – unedited) (greatpoetrymhf.wordpress.com)
- Patricia A. Hawkenson Video Takes First Place in Outskirts Press “Love” Contest (prweb.com)